When Will I Get My Cobell Settlement Payment?

Many Native Americans are wondering whether they are eligible to receive money from the $3.4 billion settlement of the Cobell lawsuit – and also when the money will be paid.

No money has yet been paid out under the Cobell settlement.   Money will start being paid after the federal court overseeing the case has approved the final terms of the deal, and any appeals have been resolved.   At this time, there is no set date for payments to begin.

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT COBELL SETTLEMENT PAYMENTS, YOU CAN:

CALL THE SETTLEMENT HELPLINE: 1-800-961-6109

CHECK THE SETTLEMENT WEBSITE: www.indiantrust.com/index

OR SEND A LETTER TO:

INDIAN TRUST SETTLEMENT
PO BOX 9577
DUBLIN, OHIO  43017-4877

Trackbacks (0) Links to blogs that reference this article Trackback URL
Comments (145) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Rhonda Houle - June 29, 2011 10:24 AM

Why is it when we went to Montana,we were told that our Tribal I.D. numbers did not match the ones they have here in Belcourt,North Dakota. Could it be that our Reservation switched our Tribal I.D. numbers for their benifit.Also why can we not access our old Tribal I.D. numbers. Can we please get from you in written notice why the Tribe has done all this. Iam writting this for my mother Donna Jean Houle (Decouteau) under Madeline Belgarde! My mother does not use internet her D.O.B. is 7-7-51 her address is 632 Parkland Dr. S.W. Rugby, North Dakota. 58368. It would be greatly appreaciated if you could take time out of your busy schedule to let my mother know the steps to look into this. Or a phone call to her @ 710-681-1405.

Rhonda Marie Houle.D.O.B.4-2-71
Donna Jean Houle (Decoteau)

6-20-2011

Calvin Allen - July 19, 2011 4:09 PM

Just a note of thanks to Eloise Cobbell and all the years of efforts she put forth in this matter. While the monetary recovery will only be temporary for a long term fiasco of the BIA/Dept. of Interior, it is a good win to all Native Americans. It is my hope and desire that now when we contact the BIA or the Dept. of Interior we shall get much better service instead of having our questions and concerns ignored.

Proudnative - July 28, 2011 1:08 PM

Eloise Cobbell led the way for Native Americans to have a voice in the rights of our Native American people that have been and are experiencing the unjustice of the treaties since our ancestors. Thank You Eloise Cobbell.

gary(white arrow)poechhacker - August 25, 2011 8:14 AM

although you cannot put a price on native americans' missgivings it is astep in the right direction.Thank you Eloise Cobell

francis tikanye - August 26, 2011 3:30 AM

why is all this assurance of a payment;and yet you say,no money has yet been paid yet to the settlement,is this a joke on the native people;if this money was going to some disaster relief in some other country,they would get the money right away,but wait it's going to the native people of united states;let them wait,lets see howmuch money the government can get back from it;and give the dirt poor Indians only lousy thousand bucks;another get rich off the Indians' money or in the name of the poor Indians to get money from the government,they forgot to sue the government for the mineral rights;it belongs to the native americans;this is a joke man

Lamberta Gooday - September 7, 2011 10:27 AM

Thank you Eloise Cobbell for exercising your rights as Native American. I hope our people just learn to be thankful and should teach their children on how to be self-sufficient in providing for themselves. As native parents we should be ashame of ourselves to let ourselves be too-dependent on the Government. We need to look up the word "Sovereignty" and how it should apply to people as a whole. Unfortunately, we are so shallow in getting upset over small stuff. Sorry you have to deal with individuals of small stature.

bob k. flynn - September 7, 2011 2:03 PM

what I am hearing is rumors that the laywers would benefit and IIM account holders would be ignored. Date not set, I don't believe it anymore, because too many times we have been misgiven information about get settlements paid out. Hopefully is not the right word, I don't nothing til I see it with my own eyes!!!!

John Larvie - September 14, 2011 12:54 AM

things are very differant today. look how money hungry people get. i see alot of wrong doing in this lawsuit and wait some tribes just like mine are probly even trying to get alot of money belonging to their own people. no date set yet for the funds but its just a way for government to hide something alot of comments i agree with. i will pay attention to my peoples funds and see if the government is doing what they are told. im going to be a good lawyer soon and this seems to be a good start for my own case on behalf of sioux tribes and all native american nations. i will be waiting to see the outcome. we are all a strong beings just by being native americans and my generation needs to learn and step up before our elders get tricked by all the talk and so called technology thanks

birdhorse - September 19, 2011 6:09 AM

well i just wantd to knoow when will the cobell money come to the StandingRockSiouxTribe it been a while now and they were saying that it was suppose to come a long time ago but i just wanted to know when will this be starting and how much will everyone get????

Ernie Posey - September 20, 2011 7:04 PM

Thanks for the temporary "high". We'll never see it.

Patty - September 22, 2011 10:09 AM

I believe that at some time there will be payments to eligible members. Many of the responses are from individuals who were not part of the group who kept the lawsuit going. There was many barriers that had to broken through for them to keep it going. I was reading the Declaration of Michelle D. Herman who is a Senior Managing Director in the Financial and Enterprise Data Analytics division. To determine who is eligible and what they eligible for has been a huge task. The team continues to move forward and that will take time. My advice is to be patient. If it were not for Ms. Cobell there would be no money for you to worry about.

Leonard - September 22, 2011 2:38 PM

Do not fret people, we should see our money in about 10 - 20 years.

Julie - September 28, 2011 7:03 AM

We are never going to see this money they have been at this for almost 2 years now. Just waitng to see how screwed we get in this deal remember we are dealing with white men.

Concerned - September 28, 2011 7:22 AM

Julie - The Cobell settlement was approved and signed into law by President Obama. Are you calling him a "white man"?

james - October 2, 2011 10:47 AM

where the money at ? got bills to pay ...... and please add some extra zeros to the money amount........

ben running bear - October 10, 2011 5:26 PM

I was told when I called the help line there are two appeals in court at this time that are holding this up. Go to the website and click on all the links in the left side bar, some of it is confuseing, some of it self explainitory. Read for yourselves what the hold up is. It is these appeals that are holding this up. Good grief, the courts have adjudicated it and they should throw out these appeals! I'm thinking they probably will at some point and they are only trying to be fair according to the law. Only time will tell. I agree with what Patty says on Sep.22,2011.

Josie - October 13, 2011 12:39 PM

You can call the 1-800-961-6109 number and ask them to give you an estimate of what you will be getting paid. They will also tell you of the current appeals holding up the payments.

kelli d - November 1, 2011 10:29 PM

HALITO ,I hope that for all native americans our time will come ,choctaw .

Su La Ru - November 2, 2011 8:44 AM

We as a nation of our own, need to think positive!Louise did not go through this thinking negative. The power of positive thinking is very strong. Our time will come and the small amount that we will all get is yes a slap in the face, but like Patty said, if not for Louise and the lawsuit, we would not have this "money" thought in our mines,THINK POSITIVE!

joetta - November 4, 2011 12:59 PM

After all the hard work and determination of Eloise everyone should be grateful the government even acknowledged the mishandling of our lands. True the amount doesn't even come close to what it should be thanks to Eloise at least we'll see something. It's just sad that a few people (one inparticular)would want to show their true colors by appealing for more money instead of thinking about the brothers and sisters who are in dire need of it now. It truly was amazing to read one of their lawyers basically refer to the appeal has a nuisance to delay payments for 2 or 3 more months. Why? If they were really so against the final settlement why not step up and opt out? Obviously someone was not brought up the Indian way and I for one would be mortified if they were a fellow tribal member.

CJ Metteba - November 4, 2011 3:09 PM

I wanna get paid now!! I been waiting and waiting...Now THAT lady died...so now, what?? :( Who's appealing...c'mon on peoples, I need to get a new phone and ipad and itouch and this lady is selling her ride for $1,000.00. Oh, wait how much we getting paid??? maybe I'm jumping the gun.

john - November 10, 2011 12:49 PM

some of us are out of work the money would help so much come on get the ball rolling thank you

ML - November 10, 2011 1:18 PM

Its my money and i want it NOW! Why was it easy for "them" ("someone") to take the $ from us and so HARD for us to get it back!! We just want what is rightfully ours! First our land now our $!!!

N8V Waitin - November 10, 2011 7:04 PM

By the time, if and when we do get any money, it'll be past due and we'll be due for more money by the time it's actually paid. Maybe in another 10 years we will see our money and thats if we're still alive to spend it, unlike Mrs. Cobell.(RIP)

Ramona - November 14, 2011 5:39 PM

So sad that no one in parts of colorado knew where memorial to Elouise Cobell was to take place...that woman worked hard on that case winning a Landmark Victory for Native Americans, would have been a wonderful farewell dedication to her to have at least attended memorial honoring her & work she did !

Tania - November 21, 2011 5:30 PM

Well keep in prayer for this lawsuit . Have positive thoughts.

orville goss - December 1, 2011 5:56 PM

sad day for all indians,when we lost eloise

Tucheekob Webster - December 8, 2011 1:50 PM

Thanks Very Much Everybody Yours and mine of the thoughts of these brothers and sissters all in one thought we carry something speacial its the spread of nature we gotto learn start with the wind of all direction . limlim sluh loot skillaw limlim

lou clifton - December 14, 2011 7:01 PM

Is it true that the Osage Tribe recieved there Cobell Settlement? If so when do all get ours.

ogle heshma - December 21, 2011 9:50 PM

we need a.i.m to do something but they consider them a threat just like they do with all brothers and sisters. our people should have put aside our differences and joined together and fight for what belongs to our people

Gloria DeLeon Chippawa tribe - January 8, 2012 8:22 PM

Why does Calvin Allen think that only Cobell was the only lawyer that worked for the Native American People? How was it a good win when the B.I.A. stole Billions of dollars from our people and the government only wants to give back a little of what they stole about one fourth. Our people got screwed back then and we are still getting screwed now.

kelli d Qtown PA - January 20, 2012 2:53 AM

PEACE AN LOVE TO ALL NATIVE AMERICANS . KEEP THE FAITH,

jennifer thompson - February 1, 2012 10:01 PM

Well it's jan 2012. We done lost the woman who fought for all this and awarded lots of cash. I heard from my grandpa I am part of this settlement not too long ago. So i looked into it and was really quite anxious to get some money. I'm 32 raised five bros and sis. now I have 4 children of my own. we are all Pawnee indians we dont get any money from out tribe like others. We are used to being broke but making ends meet. But I could use any kinda help these days.Rest in peace Elois.

John Laforte - February 2, 2012 4:57 AM

My Grandfather waited for this type of settlement his whole life, died, never got anything.

denise - February 2, 2012 11:04 AM

Its prayer that changes the environment we are living in and that same prayer of faith can restore the finances to us who are able to pray for our leaders and those in opposition of the Cobell Settlement delay. I believe that God is able to turn around this opposition and work it out for the good of the peoples we need only believe that there is a God that is able to intervene on our behalf.

joetta - February 10, 2012 1:25 PM

Well it looks like we should know something after the oral arguments set for 2/16.I still don't understand how only a handful of disgruntled people can hold up a settlement payout to thousands of natives, more than half of which are in need of it. Seriously with today's economy the way it is, they're demanding more? This is what makes what Elouise accomplished even more profound, that she was able to get the settlement while the economy was tanking. To those few- get off Elouise's coat tails! We don't need you or want you to become our voice, swallow your petty greedy pride, crawl back under the rocks you came from and pray for forgiviness for truly affecting the livelihood of so many in need of this.

Barbara - February 12, 2012 10:49 AM

I wonder if this is just another Black Hills promise!!!! With all do respect to our President Obama, I do think and feel this should be not just a one time payment. But a yearly payment to all Native Americans. And that is not to much to ask for.....All Native Americans have suffered to long to be always let down for whats rightfully ours in the very beginning of time. (OUR LAND)!!.. But we do need to thank Marilyn Keepseagle for fighting the government with Keepseagle VS. Vilsack (USDA)and she won that case for the Native Americans.."THANK YOU MARILYN". Another lawsuit brewing is Marylouise Defender/TwoShields which you can read about on www.indianz.com/news/2011. We need more Native Americans to be outspoken for rights rightfully ours.... RIGHT!!!!

twikla - February 27, 2012 2:27 PM

GIVE US THE MONEY WE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE CHRISTMAS IN JULY HOW ABOUT IT THAT MEANS WE WILL BE WARM FOR NEXT CHRISTMAS

Tim "Spohei" Sampson - March 6, 2012 4:15 PM

It does not matter what part of the "United States" you are from, it all seems to be the same. My heart goes out for Mrs. Cobell and her efforts. I myself have lost faith in our so-called government that is supposed to look out for us! It is a terrible shame that indigenous people work for the White Man's government. I can say that I am proud of the Negro race for they are coming up in this world while we the (Native People) are perishing. Nye.

native chic - March 6, 2012 10:11 PM

Gov'ment going to do what they do best. Fill their pockets n screw the rest. I'm not counting on the settlement. We been promised stuff for decades. We are still in our concentration camps called reservations.

william tyndall - March 14, 2012 8:20 AM

hopefully we will get our money this year

Indian Guy - April 7, 2012 2:31 PM

Many thanks to Mrs. Cobell for all the hard work she did for all Native Americans in Indian Country. She is not the only one standing up for Native Americans, you have the Keepseagle Lawsuit which is coming to a close with a win for all the Native American Farmers and Ranchers, and there is another lawsuit filed by Defender/TwoShields which is in the makings, so it looks like Mrs. Cobell did alot for Native Americans and Indian Country, thank you very much Elouise and God Bless you very much I know you are looking down on Indian Country and Smiling. Wopila Tanka.

Lafayette - April 13, 2012 8:44 AM

I thank Mrs. Cobell for her work and accomplishments..So sad that she passed before distribution. My mother waited all her life for payments from her land. I think the money should be sent soon to help especially those who need it. It is not my way to judge what others decide to do with their $.

Bonnie - April 17, 2012 4:17 PM

Never. I dont think we will ever get this money. So with that being said, if you can work get out and get a job and dont depend on the government for anything except for taxing us...

stoney - April 18, 2012 11:06 AM

AND WHILE ALL OUR MONEY IS SITTING IN THESE ACCOUNTS I WONDER IF WE WILL BE PAID INTEREST? SINCE IT IS IN A INTEREST BEARING ACCOUNT.

Cheyenne Oklahoma - April 19, 2012 8:55 AM

Any idea when we may get the first $1800. Aug 12? I was hoping by now we would have gotten the 2nd distribution. What will it be about 6 months after the first?
Anyways have bills like all the rest. Feels like this will never happen. Had 3 siblings pass away in the last couple of years only 2 of us left. Would have been nice had they been able to enjoy this.

joetta - April 23, 2012 2:56 PM

Ok peeps,we all need to remember..it's not the government who's holding up the money (for once) its only a handful of greedy natives who are demanding more for themselves, while using the excuse they're standing up for all of us. Apparently I mised the whole email (with all their names and addresses that was sent out awhile ago)bruhaha which they actually were all upset about everyone finding out who they were. What- they stall the payments that the majority of our people are in dire need of and yet they're so cowardly they can't stand up and take ownership for their actions? I'd be laughing if it wasn't so pathetic. You reap what you sow.

Richard Trannum - April 24, 2012 12:47 AM

Google "Ted Frank"....a professional blogger and likes to make his money rehashing decided court cases. He told me he is doing this for our own good!!....anyone buy that? I think more like HIS own good, big bucks draw his kind!!

Richard Trannum - April 24, 2012 12:55 AM

Also, Craven could have opted out and reserved the right to settle her own case sepately but chose to hold us all up, and read the court documents in the "indian trust settlement" web site

Julie Pokrywka - April 25, 2012 4:09 AM

Craven was a lobbyist for Ben Nighthorse Campbell It is a shame how the natives can turn on each other I wish we could all pull together and get this done. Too many people need their money and a handful people are holding this up it is very sad. The Black Farmers got their money because they didn't turn on their own people.

Y.Pennington - May 3, 2012 8:26 AM

Cant rush a good thing.. Positive thought bring positive results... in patients will not bring anything sooner. just stress and misery.

Michelle - May 11, 2012 12:38 PM

Please note, that with the acceptance of this money, we will never see another penny ever. That is why there is an opt out option, I hope all are aware of this. Yes, it should be yearly, but even expecting this is a milestone in itself. I too am very impatient, but to think that this is all we are going to see ever, it is such an injustice to our people.

coffee 82060 - May 16, 2012 10:57 AM

My Eloise 2comment is I think rise and shine for all our ancestors. And I think that the children are the ones that are gonna lose out. This is the 7th generation and your wasting time. And appeal against appeal will not settle this settlement. We have been the lonesome losers since I do not know when.For the children can we rise and STOP BEING PASSIVE. Hello is anyone home. I m a minneconjou lakota from Eagle Butte

coffee 82060 - May 16, 2012 10:59 AM

G.A. Guy - May 18, 2012 8:55 PM

The settlement monies that the 41 tribes got r will get is being used by some tribes 4 per cap payments. Is this the same type of settlement monies from the cobell lawsuit? Just thought I'd ask that question?

Julie Pokrywka - May 19, 2012 3:46 PM

The sad truth about this money is the call center in Ohio is costing us $300,000 a month and this comes out of our money so do the matth we are all getting screwed because of a handful of people. I am ashamed that the indian people have done this to their own people.

julie - May 21, 2012 2:19 AM

I tried to post a comment about the money being spent on the call centern but they didn't post it gee makes me wonder why they don't want people to know how much of their money is being spent.

michelle - May 22, 2012 1:54 PM

I posted a comment previously but do not see it posted above. My comment was that I hope our people realize that with the acceptance of this money, this is the last we will ever get. There will be no more monies for our people and that is why there is an opt out option in the papers that were sent out. It's sad that it has come to this and so much injustice has been done to our people and continues to this day.

Joetta - May 23, 2012 1:34 PM

Tried to leave a comment about how this basically opened up a window for the courts (government) to send the whole thing back to square one. Kind of makes you wonder exactly what the real motives are behind these appeals.

joetta - May 24, 2012 2:39 PM

Woohoo!! The courts rejected the claims!! They say depending on whether these few will decide to keep fighting the decisions, it looks like the 1st payment could go out has early as the 1st week in June. :-) Unfortunately AGAIN it comes down to these fools.

julie - May 27, 2012 11:15 AM

Craven has 45 days to decide to take this further I hope she feels like she got her 15 seconds of fame. Most people don't even know or care who she is so much for the 15 seconds huh?

ruby decoteau - June 1, 2012 8:02 AM

this is all bs like my daddy said before he died i will never see no money i will die first and i feel the same way

Joetta - June 11, 2012 2:43 PM

Would you believe Craven's lawyer is asking people their opinion on whether he should keep going with the appeal or if he should just stop and focus on some cases he knows he can win?? Is it just me or does that blantly show what little regard they actually had for those of us affected by their actions and how they were truely just in it to try and get more money and make a name for themselves?

julie - June 13, 2012 5:23 AM

I believe it I just don't understand how many chances this woman should be given to stop this. This thing is such a dirty joke I don't even want the money anymore but the people who need it should be given the money and this crap should stop. Craven wanted to do this to make herself feel important so much for self esteem which she doesn't seem to have any of.

Jon - June 13, 2012 11:42 AM

Relatives;
Honor needs to be made in such a way by consenual agreement by all Nations of this Land. Memoralize Ms Cobell in such a way that future generations will be inspired to protect our people and interests as Ms Cobell had done. With her True Native life!

James D - June 13, 2012 5:50 PM

"Now that the Appellate Court has affirmed the decision to approve the Settlement, the appealing parties have approximately 90 days to request a rehearing. If no requests for rehearing are filed in the allotted time period, or if the requests for rehearing are denied, then the Settlement's Final Approval will become effective."

Craven will most likely take up the majority of the 90 days, just for Spite! She's afraid of being denied. Hopefully, her attorney will talk her out of it.

julie - June 14, 2012 7:49 AM

Craven has fired her lawyer and is currently looking for a new one to persue this.

Bobby Joe - June 14, 2012 11:53 AM

as Julie stated, how many chances does this lady get, she tried over and over and was denied each time and now there giving her another 90 days to decide, and then she fires her lawyer? Why don't they just start the process and send the checks out, the Trust class checks and they can work on the Administrative class and that should give her enough time to find a lawyer just to be denied again. Her act is getting old, how much indian is she anyway?

julie - June 15, 2012 5:10 AM

The sad thing of all of this is the Supreme Court would probably not hear the case so all the time this woman has wasted is horrible. I doubt if a lawyer will take it as they will not make any money on a lost appeal. Craven just wants her 15 minutes of glory and in reality nobody cares who she is. Shemay be indian in blood but her spirit sure isn't and that is the saddest part of this. I am atruck driver and have an income but I really feel for the people who really need this money.

Bobby Joe - June 19, 2012 2:59 PM

I just noticed at the start of this page it states that it is from the NATIVE AMERICAN LEGAL UPDATE and the topic is "WHEN WILL I GET MY COBELL SETTLEMENT MONEY". Then it goes on to say MANY NATIVE AMERICANS ARE WONDERING WHETHER THEY ARE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE MONEY FROM THE COBELL SETTLEMENT. This is not what the question was. The question was and still remains, "WHEN WILL I GET MY COBELL SETTLEMENT MONEY"? Eligibility has nothing to do with this as all native americans are and should be eligible to receive this money. So I wonder who has that answer? Maybe the person taking care of this website can fill us in.

Rebecca - July 2, 2012 5:36 AM

She has now she hired a new Attorney, Anand V. Ramana. I still don't understand who she is trying to help. Is she getting paid from someone to uphold they payouts? Why is she doing this? I read all the papers and her appeal and there were no facts. Please don't represent me, I prefer to stick with what Ms Cobell did for all of us. She did it from her heart. Can't figure out why or who you are doing it for!

rob - July 8, 2012 4:47 PM

is it 45 days or 90 days to file another appeal

julie - July 10, 2012 7:10 AM

Let Craven take it to the Supreme Court, the way they hae been ruling to the left she will lose and then she will be nothing more than a joke. I really doubt if the court will even hear this.

Joetta - July 25, 2012 11:53 AM

I totally agree with Rebecca, I think maybe there's someone else pulling her strings? But then again maybe she is as pathetically greedy has she appears.

Bobby Joe - July 28, 2012 3:11 PM

I just read an article that the Coeur d'Alene Tribe rec'd $18 million from the US Gov't a month ago and this was for mismanagement of Tribal lands that they where suppose to manage in Trust. The Nez Perce Tribe in Idaho collected $33.7 million as part of the same settlement. They announced that 3 million will go to the Native American Rights Fund and the rest will be distributed to individual tribal members, each of the 3,500 tribal member will receive roughly $8,600, is this from the Cobell Lawsuit that where all waiting for? Or to see if Kimberly Craven is going to file another appeal on?

James - July 29, 2012 10:33 AM

I believe Craven has until August 22nd. That would be the 90 days.

julie - July 30, 2012 10:05 AM

Craven now wants $500,000 to go away. Talked to the lawyer and he said they will not pay this. He said something about September 24 concerning Supreme Court hiling or hearing. Craven has also lost he job with Department of Interior. This whole thing is starting to stink and I am said we no longer have Eloise to help us so I feel this whole thing is going to be a joke and the lawyers will walk away with thier millions od dollars and the people will have nothing.I don't know the answer to this or what we can do to help ourselves but this is just dragging on and on for no reason other than the lawyers making more more.

Leonard - July 30, 2012 5:34 PM

My relations all over our Mother Earth, please feel sorry for the ones whom still try to oppress us. They are ignorant in their own special ways, but we cannot put ourselves down to their level of incompetent thinking. We can only pray that they can be enlightened to the just cause of this settlement. Our Tiospayes from past to present will help right this wrong also. So look up,not down for our time is now for justice for all our nations to be righted for all the wrongdoings of the past the U.S. Gov't has put on us. Pilamiya...Hoka Heya.....

julie - July 31, 2012 5:53 AM

Why does it take these people so long to post anything?

julie - August 7, 2012 5:05 AM

Why don't they post comments on this site? If they are not going to post comments they might as well take the web site down this benefits no one.

Comanche L - August 9, 2012 6:52 AM

Well Brothers and Sisters it is August 9, 2012. I have faith in GOD. I truly believe WE will get what we are due...soon. I don't know what CRAVEN is all about but i feel she will get what's due to her by Our ALMIGHTY! Pretty sad. I am a peaceful being too. A Child of GOD. I hope and Pray she will look into her own heart and make an honest change for the better. We are here on this Earth for just a brief moment...what we do with it can make a great difference in the lives of others. Make it count. Live, Love, and Laugh. Enjoy what you have. If you have a Family spend as much time w/ them as you can...the Twinkling of an Eye" could happen at any time...Be Ready! This time on Earth is how we SPEND it caring for others...And yes we all could use the added Bonus (when it arrives)...lol. I am Greatful. Praise GOD!
- Love and God Bless to All Native Americans...

jackie - August 15, 2012 6:00 PM

Well my husbands been calling and asking about the settlement and they told him they still have to wait on an appeal and he asked how much he would be getting on his IIM account they told him a little over $1400.00,so why isn't the Indian people getting like over $10,000.the Lawyers and everyone else who is involved in the settlement r all getting millions and this is all were getting ,that will only pay a couple bills with this economy.Well I guess our treasures are in heaven.

Bobby Joe - August 16, 2012 4:04 PM

I just heard that on August 20th (monday)notices will be mailed out to all IIM acct holders along with checks, then again another message said Wednesday, August 22nd as this will be the 90 day deadline for appeals. So! anybody out there hear different? Hurry up and wait (just like the military) nothing but time. The longer they make us wait the more money the lawyers get, so I imagine they could care less when this gets settled, a bigger piece of the pie for them.

Northern Wi/native - August 19, 2012 8:12 AM

You know what really gets me,is we win a battle for treaty rights in this case, and are tribe is charging us for water.

barbara - August 21, 2012 1:37 AM

What 75 million is ft peck.reservation talkin about? They r having tribal meeting on how to spend it.

joetta - August 21, 2012 7:01 AM

I just read that greedy little thing refiled an appeal yesterday and that the other ones are waiting to see what happens and may also reappeal. Why is it she's able to put the breaks on a settlement that affects thousands of us time and time again? I think our sister/brother lawyers should start looking into the probability of filing a suit of our own against her for the monies lost due to her appeals. Food for thought people.......

Bobby Joe - August 22, 2012 6:54 AM

I agree with you joetta, something needs to be done asap and a law suit would be appropriate after all it is costing the people alot of monies for lawyer fees, cobell website info, clerks who are handling all the calls that are being made to the 800 number for info on the settlement, etc. I hope the S/C rejects her appeal so we can move on with this, as I don't think the other three will file if her appeal gets denied.

Deb Haley - August 22, 2012 11:20 AM

I feel this could be tied up in courts forever. Unfortunately that is the way of the judical system. I was told there never was a time given to start distributing the money. However, I knew I was told by someone on the phone that it would be Aug.

JOHNSON L. - August 24, 2012 1:24 AM

I agree a leangthy process this has become, and yet all our Relations suffer.The intrest for this settlement has had quite some time to increase,the lawyers and government do what they do best offer us empty promisses.How much longer will our Elders and children have to wait? why does one individual feel more important than all of First Nations People why make others who need the funds suffer? we as native peoples need to stand strong, why undermine what took so long for the government to approve in the first place.where i grew up we put the needs of others before our own. thats called unity family respect.

Walter J. Allison - August 27, 2012 10:17 AM

I hope thier isn't another appeal. This has taken long enough for our drop in the bucket for what's really owed. Razzle dazzle us Ndns AGAIN! I found out I had 3 tribal ID's and a 3-4 IIM accounts. It took me a couple weeks to get that straightened out. WTF!! So far, what I've learned is from the gov't BIA to the tribal agencys do what they want and keep us un-informed and confused on purpose!

Helena Harrington - August 27, 2012 3:14 PM

Kimberly Cravens is out to make a name for herself, looking out for number one. Forget everyone else. How pathetic?

joetta - August 30, 2012 11:55 AM

After scouring the net to see if she made the deadline for yet another appeal, I found out that yes she did (surprise, surprise) so now it looks like the earliest we'll see anything (if they're smart enough to shoot her down again) will be in October. On a positive note at least we'll have something for the holidays, that is if there's anything left from the money going toward all the appeals.
You would think there'd be some way to hold her accountable for the money she's basically taking from all of us.

Yakama - August 31, 2012 8:58 AM

I know patience is a virture however it was ok to take Indian Monies just like our land right? We are living in a white man world still regardless of the color of the President, lets deal with things the white man way then. The longer the wait for a payment/settlement charge interest fees, they dont like it when we pay our bills late and charge us fees for everything then why not be able to charge them interest fees and late fees also? Just my opinion and I appreciate Cobell for all her hard work and dedication she put into this. I just hope were still alive to receive these monies.

running bear - August 31, 2012 4:33 PM

kimberly craven is being paid big $ to appeal and its all lyes they are all in it together thay eat lobster while the native children eat one school meal a day if thay are lucky i seen a picture of her aand i know that crooked look .i hope december 2012 is the end so thay can burn in hell keep the money take it with you when your dead kim

Jackie - September 1, 2012 2:39 PM

When it comes to us native american people getting alot of money like this ,they seem to always take more of it back to the white people,us native americans gave alot to these people n they still take from us in many ways,they took our land n now we only want wants been ours for years,cause alot of treaties been broken n they always have teir ways from keeping things from us.Wheres the justice in all this.We native americans always make these people rich n we still end up living poor n below poverty.Well God Bless You All Who Are doing this to my native people.I put you all into gods hands.May god bless your soul.

jackie - September 1, 2012 2:46 PM

God Bless you all who are all involved in the settlement,may god bless you all for the things your doing against my people,I put you all in gods hands.Amen

Bobby Joe - September 2, 2012 7:06 PM

Happy Halloween, at least we'll have money to buy candy 4 halloween and all the little gobblins, or maybe a nice thanksgiving dinner, thats looking on the bright side of all the waiting we are going through because of Kimberly Craven and the other folks who are appealing this.

Hilda - September 4, 2012 9:36 PM

I think they are exaggerating now with all these god damn appeals right? Its costing them more to keep going into court than just to start mailing out our damn money!!! My rez dont ever send us any money so it would be nice to recieve sum damn thing!!!

Alissa deCory - September 5, 2012 11:36 AM

i want to know if i'm going to get that cobell settlement money.

Judith - September 5, 2012 2:18 PM

First of all, I believe all The IIM accountants should petition against Kimberly Craven and 3 of her posse. Kimberly is only thinking of herself and she's not very bright to think that 500,000 class members, need this money to accomodate towards their bills to groceries and such. The longer the Appeal, the shorter of a payouts. She doesn't realize it, but I think she's the most "UNLIKE" person(s), right now. I sure want to meet her and ask why she's being greedy in herself pity's. She just want all that money to herself. She doesnt think about the students who need Scholarship money in the next year. Why does this effect everyone, because The late Elouise Cobell fought it all the way for all the 500,000 people who were being cheated by the federal government, maybe BIA, too. Ms. Cobell won the Settlement, what more does Kimberly want. I thought when your appealing the case, You have to pay it out of your own pocket. Reading the Appeal documents, she's not going to win. It is a losing street for her. She is wasting our time and money. While, she's fighting a greedy battle the more of Our Money is depleting. We need to all voice our disagreements against these 4 individuals. They dont deserve any payout. The people who commented about "Being nice and just pray for her" that says to me, you can even fight for your Settlement. Im tired of being nice, we need to do something and get those 4 ppl. out. Late, Ms. Cobell fought this for more than 15 years, why we have to let 4 ppl get in the way. Just because she is no longer here, they come out like cowards. We all need to set up out I Indian prayers like Peyote meetings to however everyone does their tradition on September 15, and pray and sing all night. So, please do that to get the Spirits of our people to bless Us.Start calling that 1800 number and voice your votes to get our Settlement. Our Elders need it, the Most....Let's start the POW WOW!!!!

Walter J. Allison - September 5, 2012 3:34 PM

I am waiting to hear: "Sorry..no Cobell settlement! It has all been spent on Kimberly Kravens appeals,all the lawyers fees and all those court costs that dragged on for 16 yrs and maybe ,now,longer.. For all you Ndns that have died in poverty before your settlement was settled..sorry..maybe it will be settled when thier aren't any more Ndns due to "dis-enrollment"! Welcome to Ndn country..no justice and all bureauocracy.. where things never get done and you get to be un-informed and confused! Maybe this is another cruel joke that we are going to be treated fairly.

INDIAN1 - September 7, 2012 7:00 AM

ITS LIKE YOU ALL SAID ALL THE LAWYERS WILL GET THEIR MONEY...AND ISN'T THERE ALREADY A PLAN IN PLACE FOR THE INDIAN PEOPLE TO GET THEIR EDUCATION PAID FOR BY THE GOVERNMENT? WHY ARE THEY USING THE SETTLEMENT TO SET UP FOR EDUCATION. WHEN THE GOVT. IS ALREADY SUPPOSE TO BE TAKING CARE OF THAT? THE INDIAN PEOPLE SHOULD BE THE ONES TO DECIDE THIS. SOME OF US DO NOT HAVE ANY CHILDREN AT ALL...DO WE GET TO KEEP THAT EDUCATION MONEY FOR OUR USE? WE ARE GETTING ROYALLY SCREWED. WHEN IT IS ALL OVER AND DRAGGED OUT...MOST OF US WILL BE DEAD OR WE WILL OWE MONEY BACK FOR THIS DAMN LAW SUIT.

RodneyFoote - September 13, 2012 11:44 AM

whydon't you hold back the payment's for the people who are appealing . and give the rest of us who are not appealing,our payment...

Julie - September 21, 2012 10:19 AM

There is never going money for anyone. By the time the lawyers play their games the money will be gone. Remember my friends Mrs. Cobell isn't here to help anymore the lawyers now have free rein to do what they want, I hope you do get your money I no longer want it it is dirty money to me now.

Bobby Joe - September 23, 2012 6:54 PM

How come the Cobell Settlement website never has updates about when the payments will start. Every news about the Cobell Settlement is always posted late, I mean you can go to Indian Country Today Media Network and find all the latest news about Craven's appeal and what the other appealants are doing and other news relating to the settlement, but never on the Cobell Settlement website, only after its been ole news then its posted, and there suppose to be getting big bucks to man the website and the 1-800 phone desk. Just saying...........

charles martin - November 25, 2012 7:11 PM

have some of the Indian Leaders beg for the Government to get our settlement.If that is what it takes to get the money that is rightfully ours. All the lawyers, that are already getting their share.maybe we could get loans off this money.White people are really taking care of them selves.May be this is another way of getting rid of us,holding back what is ours Go ahead starve us out,freeze us out.This seems to be Normal for you. No pity or Compassion for us third class Country citizens. Afaganizan people are geting all the help from our Rez Masters than ,what we are getting.

wailaki woman - November 27, 2012 1:08 PM

The pittance I would get IF my tribe divided the monies equally would be $188.00. Insulting. But the money will not be divided among the people the council will decide how the money will be used. Many of us know how corrupt our own governments have become, we can only hope it will be used for the good of the people but its doubtful.

pony - December 9, 2012 1:46 PM

how will this really help those in the long term?......

Lennie Nadeau - December 12, 2012 9:44 PM

Don't worry people, i started to mail out the cobell checks on Wednesday, Dec, 12. So check your mail and have a Merry Christmas!!

myrna - December 17, 2012 2:57 PM

Checks have arrived in the WhiteMountains of Arizona. Thank You!!!

Amanda Peterson - December 18, 2012 1:38 PM

I was raised on the reservation my whole life, my grandfather was a full blooded sioux native american and my grandmother was half but yet the Spirit Lake Reservation has down that i am not enough native american to be enrolled. I dont think its fair that we (the desendents of the tribe) should be left out on anything involving settlement payments. I got more native american blood in me than most of the people on the tribal board. But yet the they continue to cast me and my most of my family out as not being enough native american. Its a shame.

Francis L. Pierre - December 21, 2012 1:22 PM

My heart is with you who are having major money problems.Poor Eloise perished waiting. With all respect I call her a true warrior for the people and she will always be rememberd at this household and people like her will always have my highest respect. Sincerly Proud tribal member
Francis L. Pierre

Dan Tiger - December 23, 2012 12:21 PM

Mrs. Cobell, thank you for your sacrifice of time, money and energy to advance the cause of the Native Peoples! I think it is unfair that you did not get to see the fruits of your labors in your time here on earth, and for that I am saddened. You are truly Tvstvnvki in my eyes. As far as the settlement goes - pay the People of the Tribal Nations Uncle Sam! Please don't continue to hold funds that many impoverished Tribal Members are waiting for to pay their bills, buy food, etc. for their families. The actions of this one person continually holding up these payments is a farce, and seems to indicate that she believes she is the only one entitled to this settlement, or maybe it is the sly mind of her barristers who are looking at the bottom line (this is to say the bottom lining of their pockets). Who would take a case of an appeal when the initiator of the appeal has already been denied before? Seems to be a case of "how much money can I make before this gravytrain ends". So, please, pay them the monies promised to them and do so without anymore governance of how they should recieve their payment (which is typically done by giving it to their Tribal Governments), they know their needs and can determine how to meet them without asking again for something that should have been given to them in the first place. MVTO.

James D - December 26, 2012 11:45 AM

I have an IIM account and never received my check. I was told they mailed it on the 17th of December to my address listed. It hasn't arrived. Does anyone know if they have ways of tracing lost or stolen checks?

TL - December 30, 2012 10:51 AM

Hope everybody had a Merry Christmas and look forward to safe new year for everybody. I have a question, my family received Cobelle Payments how come I didn't receive my check yet? Did some checks not get released yet or do I just sit and do the waiting game. I have tried the Indian trust phone number and they give me the current address they have but I told them my check never did come thru. Could my check be sitting in my IIM account? Please let me know, thanks!

James D - December 31, 2012 9:03 AM

They told me they needed more information, before they would send the check.

Email: Info@IndianTrust.com Give them this information.

Verification of Tribal Membership

Your Name
Any Alias's?
Current Address
Former Address
Date of Birth
Social Security Number
IIM Account Number
Tribal Membership number- which is the last 5 digits of your IIM Account number

I received an e-mail from them a few days later telling me my check would be in the mail on Dec 31st, 2012. They need the above information in writing and will not take it over the phone. Good Luck.

Donald Arviso - January 6, 2013 12:11 PM

Iam very greatful of Mrs. Cobell in her sucessful fight against the BIA. Iam also thankful for our grandparents, who made it possible for us to have allotted land. This small parcel assures us that were are part owners of this great land. " The United States" Thank You.

michael a stokes - January 14, 2013 9:02 PM

500,000 real American's. Do the math. $735,000,000,000.00 for a few bankers overnight. $3,400,000,000.00 for us not even paid after all these years. The U.S. government is still devising a plan to have all tha money come back to them. Once they have that figured that out.We will get a pittence of what we really should get. Slime polititians and even worse remuneration. I just know this Administration is not ever going anywhere and if you are banking on a deliverance of any likeness or kind
then I say you are beyond help. Next we'll need to fill out even more paperwork at three hundred thousand a month to some beggars in Ohio

BACA - January 16, 2013 2:50 PM

Rehire Dinnis Gingold,to file a class action suit for royalties not yet paid for, in the use of Native American Beats in all sound-tracks ever produced in the music industry without our consent.

Baca

Alex Cummings - January 16, 2013 3:58 PM

I am trying to get my IM ACCOUNTS. I been awiting for my too come in for a while now ut you see i don't live in the state where I'm suppose to recieve mine from I moved to another state and address so i don't know where I am suppose to pick mines up at.

beverly - February 14, 2013 9:08 AM

nothing belongs to us it all belongs to God he giveth and they taketh,Yes we all could use the funds and pray that we all survive to get it and thank the good Lord when it happens! love you all and peace

Linda M. Komakhuk - May 30, 2013 1:18 PM

If we place a value on each Native American what would that be worth? Plus the lives of the ones that have passed on. My thoughts are beyond this small amount that will be spent and gone. Educate our children build our schools, build hospitals and run them by our own people. Have them by all means the best equipment, soft wear the latest and teach every willing person to run every department of both schools and hospitals. Be the competition.

Michael Dunnington - June 3, 2013 9:45 AM

They have been saying only IMM account holders will be getting a settlement...that is a Lie..If your just a Reg. Native American you will get 1600 dollars right away, my cousins did and they're only Native Americans not IMM account holders like me, they got 1600.00 dollars last week..I'm both Reg. Cheyenne River Sioux and an IMM account holder. So to all Native Americans don't listen to their Lies.

charles shelton - August 14, 2013 5:15 AM

One part of the requirements to be in the Historial acct. class,says that a cash transaction must have been made.How can you provide such info. when the doi.was responsible for the domplete lawsuit to begin with.The only cash transaction was the withdraw of all indian trust monies.How ironic,trust,something D.O.I.and the rest govt. know nothing about!!Its earned not bought!All acct. holders ,past and present,should be paid without beaucratic requirements or put into classes like a chcken in a cage.SHAME! Descendant of the ARROW LAKES BAND

merrill - September 12, 2013 8:44 AM

the lawsuit was about accountability,and outright theft, dont be so happy if you get a $500 or $1000 check,they stole billions uppon billions,then turned this lawsuit into another rip off natives skeem,and another land grab,if you get a grand they probbly pumped a million or two million dollars of oil,never paid tribes for land they stole, people starving while the koch brothers get fat, wake up indian country, the wolves are at the door.

Del. Roach - September 16, 2013 5:45 AM

I would like to know where is are second check? this should of been mailed and everything taken care of by now, I'am sick of the whole thing. Yes! they got rich and we get pennies on the dollar and have to wait for it why they collect interest. My share could of been in my bank collecting interest for me.

Pearl of N.W. Indian River People - September 18, 2013 3:25 AM

Look, many of our GRANDFATHERS fought for this and stood up for our rights to the LANDS & FREEDOM. Just pay us already and STOP with all the appeals and buying time to not pay out! This is freakin' ridiculous! White man always wants to control and have EVERYTHING! Time to act equal and not as Kings and Queens! Welcome to reality Whiteman. Please disburse our payments already. Not yours to keep HOLDING!

Pearl of N.W. Indian River People - September 18, 2013 3:26 AM

Look many of our GRANDFATHERS faught for this and stood up for our rights to the LANDS & FREEDOM. Just pay us already and STOP with all this appeals and buyingtime to not pay out! This is freakin rediculouse! White man always wants to control and have EVERYTHING! Time to act equal and not as Kings and Queens! Welcome to reality Whiteman. Please dispburse our payments already. Not yours to keep HOLDING!

anthony l gutierrez - September 18, 2013 2:22 PM

when are the checks coming

Judy - September 23, 2013 9:15 AM

it is time for the citizen potawatomi to get their money, will it ever really happen?????

Philmore Jackson - October 11, 2013 6:43 AM

Extend it out with appeals, is what they want. So they can take more money for processing all the appeals. Lawyers, legal rep., and so. They are the only one benefitting from this money, the way i see it. Its a shame, we native people were here first. Est. Before The White Man Invaded The Lands.

larry skippergosh - October 26, 2013 7:25 AM

what is the interest on that amount of money compounded daily?

Granddaughter Watson - November 19, 2013 3:26 PM

I'm a third generation and my late maternal grandma pass and my late grandpa, they were waiting for their money and they never got it. Hopefully my family members get a hold of some of that settlement, we have a land and huge coal company are getting their hands on and even the government. Please pay up ASAP, thank you, and whats the hold up.

Natasha Green - November 26, 2013 12:25 PM

My Grandmother Cloud(maiden name of McCoy) owned property many years ago and even had legal documentation drawn up by a judge here in Seminole County of Oklahoma stating her inheritance of it from her father. My family and I submitted all of such court papers along with all other documentation requested of us and by the deadline. However, we received a letter back stating that we had not provided enough information to establish our rights to a part of the settlement. WHAT ELSE ARE WE SUPPOSED TO PROVIDE?! My grandmother has long passed and never received any payment for what was rightfully hers. Don`t you people at least think that her living children and grandchildren are certaintly entitled to something? God knows she never once received a dime for something that was rightfully hers!

Brenda J, Cultee - January 6, 2014 10:54 PM

Speaking for Myself.
I am just so happy to see a win in our favor. This woman sacrificed 15-16 years of her life fighting a corrupt government. Not backing down even with intimidation and threats. I am very proud to bean Indian and part of Eloise Cobell's race. She did notback down & showed more persistence than a pit bull. I wished she would have lived to enjoy the fruits of her labor.
Skokomish Nation (WA)

Al - January 8, 2014 10:13 AM

I AM BEGINNING TO THINK THIS IS ALL A BAD JOKE ON US NATIVE AMERICANS. IF A SETTLEMENT WAS GOING TO TAKE PLACE FOR ANOTHER ORGANIZATION, THEY WOULD BE QUICK TO "JUMP." THEY ASSUME, "OH THE NATIVES CAN CONTINUE TO WAIT." IN THE MEANTINE, THE LAWYER HELPING WITH THE SETTLEMENT DOESNT' CARE AS LONG AS THEY GET PAID THEIR CHUNK OF MONEY, THEY CAN JUST CONTINUE TO RELAX... STILL NO HOPE!

Naveah - January 13, 2014 8:42 PM

I have received my $1600.00 last spring (2013)and I greatly appreciated that money, put it to good use, was that the last of the money being distributed?

Valneva Dalton - February 9, 2014 11:35 AM

I was wondering if this is Trust monies that can be borrowed on like the JD Wentworth loans.. Can you e- mail me back to let me know Yes or No ... Thank you Valneva

Larry - March 11, 2014 2:35 AM

Like always Lawers get the Gold mine we get the shaft

Gloria - March 19, 2014 12:06 PM

Like anything else regarding the government, they will take advantage of every opportunity to take it away and stuff their own pockets. It's still being mismanaged. I appreciate all the effort that Elouise Cobell did to win. I'm not really expecting any money, but I would just like to thank this lady for stepping forward. We need to do that more often as Natives instead of just watching and waiting and blaming everyone else.

FRANK W. BIG SOLDIER - April 3, 2014 9:40 PM

WE ARE ALREADY IN THE 4TH. MONTH NOW AND STILL NO MONEY SENT OUT. IT'S THE WHITE MAN WHO HAS ACCESS TO THIS MONEY AND STILL THEY KEEP STEALING FROM US NATIVE AMERICANS. BELIEVE ME THEY'RE IN NO RUSH TO START SENDING OUT THE CHECKS TO US. ALL I HEAR IS EXCUSES AND LIES. WHERE EVER THERE'S BIG MONEY THE WHITE MAN WANTS IT ALL TO HIS SELF. THERE WAS A STATEMENT IN THE PAST ABOUT THEY WERE HAVING TROUBLE WITH CURRENT ADDRESSES AND CAN'T FIND WHERE THESE CURRENT LAND OWNERS LIVED. WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE ONES WHO ALREADY RECEIVED THEIR $1000 LAST YEAR 2013 IN FEBRUARY? IT ALSO STATED THAT 2ND CHECK WILL BE MAILED OUT EARLY 2014 - THAT'S B.S.

Richard may - April 6, 2014 5:22 PM

I think it's all politics they will pay it just before the august primary just to get your vote

bigsoldiwerfrankw - April 13, 2014 11:23 AM

IT STATED THAT THE 2ND PAYMENT WILL BE IN EARLY 2014 WE'RE IN APRIL ALREADY. I GUESS EARLY TO THEM MEANS DECEMBER 2014. NOW MARK MY WORDS IT WILL STATE 2ND PAYMENT IN EARLY 2015 SO ON, SO OM, SO ON, SO ON, SO ON, SO ON AND SO ON.

Barbara - April 16, 2014 12:03 PM

When Eloise Cobell fought for getting these monies for the Native Americans I recall her stating it is for the people ONLY!!! and not for any other organizations etc. etc. also for all the waiting that the government is doing to make us people wait for out what's rightfully ours ($$$$) We should be getting INTEREST on top of our payments... I think that's the only RIGHT and honest thing to do!!!...

Glen Livingston - April 18, 2014 10:59 AM

Everyone from Congress, the US Special Master, to the GCG are all responsible for the delay but just like white folks to try and place blame on others rather than accept responsibility for their own screw to ups. It is imperative that the U.S. federal courts intervene and clear up this logjam and get the money to the people. In plain English-Cut The Checks!!

Post A Comment / Question Use this form to add a comment to this entry.

Remember personal info?
Send To A Friend Use this form to send this entry to a friend via email.