Where's My Cobell Money?

Many Native Americans are wondering about the status of the $3.4 billion Cobell settlement, and when the funds will be paid to those who are eligible.

The United States District Court for the District of Columbia granted Final Approval for the Indian Trust Settlement at the Fairness Hearing in 2011.  Final Approval will become effective and payments will be distributed once all appeals have been resolved.

There are two active appeals. The first was filed by Kimberly Craven on August 6, 2011. The other is a consolidated Appeal of Carol Eve Good Bear, Charles Columbe, and Mary Aurelia Johns who are being represented by David C. Harrison. This was filed on September 30, 2011. These appeals could collectively delay payment by one year or longer.

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT COBELL SETTLEMENT PAYMENTS, YOU CAN:

Call Toll-Free: 1-800-961-6109

Email: Info@IndianTrust.com

Send a letter to: Indian Trust Settlement, P.O. Box 9577, Dublin, OH 43017-4877

Trackbacks (0) Links to blogs that reference this article Trackback URL
Comments (6) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Debbie Sequichie-Kerchee - January 7, 2012 7:42 PM

Five individuals holding up everybody else's payments. Unbelievable! Why didn't these five just opt out and start their own lawsuit? No telling when the payouts will begin now, you should have just taken this windfall and run with it, after 16 long years. Just look at Elouise... she didn't get anything! Now we may not see a penny of it, at least I am not holding my breath!

Leslie twobear - January 30, 2012 3:47 PM

Classic ..these idiots that appealed are probably on the side of the lawyers who are billing per hr as as appeals suck time ...brilliant for the few who accepted this bribe ...for a lousy 900$...its working ...its called chicanery trickery ..typical money grab antics ..its interest bribery ....and someone should look into these antics pronto !!...are these filers major landowners?,,,in the top tiers?...doubt it.....

Doris Respects Nothing - February 6, 2012 9:31 AM

My applause to those individuals who filed the appeal who are very brave and should be considered hero's in my book. They are currently under fire by many who do not understand the realm under which the settlement was made and do applaud the attorney's too for their role in this. I oftened wondered how the Tribes became involved with the lawsuit but my question never got answered because the initial litigants were those who had IIM accounts which Tribes do not have. Anothter question I had was how monies became available to Tribes to buy fractionated lands which would affect those IIM account holders interest in fractionated lands. I just wanted to say that against my better judgement I signed to accept the conditions of the settlement but now want to remove myself from that consent if possible until the settlement is exclusive to only those with IIM accounts. I believe that this would be the only way for Trust landowners to protect their interests in lands allotted to their ancestors as well as to make the US Govt accountable for their actions.

agnes oldman - February 9, 2012 2:44 PM

I would juat like to say that these 5 people that have deemed it necessary to appeal and who i might add are also holding up our payment process for us tribal memebers who do have an IIM account and are trust holders. GIVE IT UP BECAUSE IN THE END YOUR NOT GOING TO END UP WITH A DIME....OMG!!!! JUST BECAUSE YOUR NOT INCLUDED IN THE LAWSUIT AND HAVE NONE OF THE ABOVE I HAVE MENTIONED DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU HAVE TO RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US WHO DESERVE IT. THERE SHOULD BE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF APPEALS TO THE COURT BECAUSE WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BE PUNISHED FOR THESE GREEDY PERSONS WHO WANT TO BE INCLUDED IN THE LAWSUIT. IT IS NOT OUR FAULT THAT THEY DIDNT HAVE AN IIM ACCOUNT OR LANDOWNERS. SUCK IT UP AND LET IT GO NOW.......BLAME YOUR ANCESTORS! IF I WAS IN YOUR POSITION AND WASNT INCLUDED IN THE LAWSUIT I WOULD JUST LET IT GO AND LET THE OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE IN THE LAWSUIT GET THERE MONEY. BECUASE OF YOUR GREEDINESS, MRS.COBELL DID NOT LIVE TO SEE HER PAYMENT. AFTER ALL IF IT WASNT FOR HER WE WUOLDNT BE RECIEVING ANY MONEY. GET OVER IT AND LET US GET OUR MONEY.

Joetta - February 22, 2012 1:46 PM

Unfortunately these 5 aren't thinking about anyone but themselves. Do they actually think we don't know that this isn't even half of what- in a perfect world- we should be receiving? The victory in what Eloise did was having the government openly admit to its wrongdoing, and in spite of the entire country economic crisis, is willing to pay us for it. You 5 need to step away from your own greed (yes your own greed so please stop using the term- our people- while you're trying to line your own pockets), grow up and really think about everyone being affected by your actions.

Leslie twobear - February 27, 2012 11:33 PM

Uuummm...this settlement will be stalled for years ...and its nothing to applaud nor considered heroic ...again ...as we read this ..$$$ to law firms are accruing ....so if there is due dilligence ..whoever these outcry plaintiffs appealing are ...should be looked into as to whether or not they accepted bribery to appeal ...

Post A Comment / Question Use this form to add a comment to this entry.

Remember personal info?
Send To A Friend Use this form to send this entry to a friend via email.